Wondering what to wear to Burning Man? Need ideas for what to bring? Here’s a Burning Man packing list to help you get organized for your trip to the playa.
If it’s your first time, be prepared for extreme conditions! You’ll need to bring all your supplies, including food and water for the week. It can get sweltering during the day and cold at night. Dust storms can happen anytime, and you’ll need a few essentials to survive in Black Rock City.
The only thing you can buy in Black Rock City is ice, at 3 o’clock, 9 o’clock, and in Center Camp.
Related: How to Prepare for Your First Burning Man Experience
The Ultimate Burning Man Packing List
What to Bring to Burning Man – Essentials
- Face Mask
- String Lights – Bring plenty for yourself and your bike.
- Head Lamp
- Bike Lock
- Large Wet Wipes – For showers.
- Hydration Pack
- Cup – This one has a carabiner handle that you can attach to your belt.
- Lip Balm – Bring extra if you want to give them as gifts.
- Toilet Paper – Single ply if you’re staying in an RV.
- Coconut Oil – This is great for hydrating your skin after a long day in the dust.
- Eye Drops
- Nasal Spray
- Bandaids – A small first aid kit is also a good idea.
What to Wear to Burning Man
Get creative! When it comes to Burning Man fashion and outfits, anything goes in the Black Rock Desert. Make sure your Burning Man costume, outfits and clothing are comfortable. If you can’t ride a bike in it, save it for an upcoming festival.
Burning Man is a Leave No Trace event. Don’t bring anything that can create moop (matter out of place.)
- Faux Fur Coat
- Comfy Boots – Be sure to break in your boots before heading to the playa. You may want to bring a backup pair just in case.
- Slides – Once you’re at camp, you will want to be as comfy as possible. Slip into some comfy slides or slippers to rest your feet.
- Wigs – I love wearing wigs. They protect your hair from the playa dust.
- Festival Hat
- Fanny Pack
- Body Suits – Bathing suits are also a good base for any outfit.
- Sheer Mesh Skirt
- An all-white outfit
- Accessories – Belts, necklaces, harness vests, etc.
Where to Buy Burning Man Outfits for Men or Women: Get your BRC geat at thrift stores, vintage shops, Etsy, Amazon, Depop, Poshmark or make your own.
Burning Man Packing List – Don’t forget!
Ticket – Double-check and keep it in a safe place. You won’t be able to buy a ticket at the gate.
Water – Bring 1.5 gallons per day. I’ve used these collapsible containers.
Going home outfit – Pack it in a Ziplock bag to keep it nice and clean.
Your ID – You’ll need to show it if you want to drink. Some people make a copy and tape it to their cup.
GoPro – Small and compact.
Mirror – If you have the space to bring it, pack a full-length mirror for getting ready.
Stamps – Send a postcard or letter from the playa post office.
If you’re camping, bring a shade structure and tent stakes to keep your tent from flying away.
Check out more travel tips here.