Wondering what to wear to Burning Man? From outfits, shoes, accessories and Burning Man essentials, here’s your ultimate Burning Man packing list to help you get organized for your trip to the playa.
If it’s your first time at Burning Man, be prepared for extreme conditions! You’ll need to bring all your supplies, including food and water, for the week. It can get sweltering during the day and cold at night. Dust storms can happen anytime, and you’ll need a few essentials to survive in Black Rock City.
The only thing you can buy in Black Rock City is ice, at 3 o’clock, 9 o’clock, and in Center Camp.
Shop Burning Man Essentials and Outfit Ideas in my Amazon Store.
What to Wear to Burning Man
Get creative! When it comes to Burning Man fashion and outfits, anything goes in the Black Rock Desert. Make sure your Burning Man costume, outfits and clothing are comfortable. If you can’t ride a bike in it, save it for another time.
How to Dress for Burning Man
- Comfy Boots – Be sure to break in your boots before heading to the playa. You may want to bring a backup pair just in case.
- Festival Hat
- Fanny Pack
- Faux Fur Coat
- Wigs – I love wearing wigs. They protect your hair from the playa dust.
- Slides – Once you’re at camp, you will want to be as comfy as possible. Slip into some comfy slides or slippers to rest your feet.
- Sheer Mesh Skirt
- Body Suits – Bathing suits are also a good base for any outfit.
Is Clothing Optional at Burning Man?
You can wear anything you want at Burning Man or nothing at all. It’s your choice.
Where to Get Burning Man Outfits for Men or Women
Search for unique outfits at Thrift stores or vintage shops.
At the Burn – Some camps bring burner clothes to gift.
Etsy has creative handmade outfits and accessories.
What to Bring to Burning Man: The Essentials
- String Lights – Bring plenty for yourself and your bike.
- Cup – This one has a carabiner handle that you can attach to your belt.
- Large Wet Wipes – For showers.
Burning Man Checklist: Toiletries
- Lip Balm – Bring extra if you want to give them as gifts.
- Toilet Paper – Single ply if you’re staying in an RV.
- Coconut Oil – This is great for hydrating your skin after a long day in the dust.
- Eye Drops
- Nasal Spray
- Bandaids – A small first aid kit is also a good idea.
Packing List for Burning Man – Don’t forget!
Ticket – Double-check and keep it in a safe place. You won’t be able to buy a ticket at the gate.
Water – Bring 1.5 gallons per day. I’ve used these collapsible containers.
Going home outfit – Pack it in a Ziplock bag to keep it nice and clean.
Your ID – You’ll need to show it if you want to drink. Some people make a copy and tape it to their cup.
A GoPro for Burning Man is a good idea because it’s so small and durable.
Mirror – If you have the space to bring it, pack a full-length mirror for getting ready.
Stamps – Send a postcard or letter from the playa post office.
Bring a shade structure and tent stakes to keep your tent from flying away if you’re camping.
What NOT to bring to Burning Man
Burning Man is a Leave No Trace event. Don’t bring anything that can create moop (matter out of place.)
Here’s what you should leave at home:
- styrofoam coolers
- plastic bags
- paper, strings
- disposable drink cups
- hay bales
- gravel — or anything that can blow away in the wind.
- Leave your dog at home. Pets are not allowed.
You may also like: