Want to start selling clothes on Poshmark and Depop, but don’t know where to start sourcing for clothes to sell on Poshmark? Use these 7 tips to get the best deals so you can start making more money now.
Tips for Selling Clothes on Poshmark
Every season I go through my closet to see what I can sell, donate, or give to a friend.
- Clear out my closet of clothes I wasn’t wearing.
- Make extra cash.
- Give new life to items that were no longer getting any attention.
When I first started selling clothes online, I started posting clothes from my closet. I quickly realized that if I wanted to make more, I needed more inventory, so I started sourcing for things to sell on Poshmark.
New to Poshmark? Get $10 to use towards your first purchase when you use my code ALOHAALEX to sign up!
Poshmark Sourcing: Where to get Amazing Deals
Tip #1: Check out Sample Sales
Sample sales are one of my favorite places to pick up stock for my Poshmark closet because I know I will find quality garments at a discount price. Brands typically use sample sales to clear out inventory so that they can make room for next season.
If you’re not sure where to find a sample sale, follow your favorite brands on Instagram. Check out the brand’s website to get familiar with the stock and do a price comp on Poshmark so you know roughly how much to spend and what it will sell for.
Tips for navigating sample sales:
- Arrive early.
- Bring cash.
- Be patient.
- Many brands won’t let you try anything on, so it’s helpful to get familiar with the sizing beforehand.
Tip #2: Thrift Stores/Op Shops
You either love thrifting, or you don’t. One of the best things about shopping for source inventory at local thrift stores is that the prices are usually low, so you can make a bigger profit reselling online.
The key is knowing when to pass on an item and when you’ve hit the jackpot. This is when your sales report comes in handy. Know which brand name items are selling in your closet by reviewing the data.
- In the US, Goodwill, the Salvation Army, and your neighborhood thrift store are great places to start.
- In Australia, some Vinnies stores will let you fill up a bag of clothes for $6. ($5 if you bring a bag.)
Tips for shopping at thrift stores.
- Know your brands and do price comps on everything.
- Look for quality over quantity.
- Avoid overspending. Remember, you still have to list everything you purchased.
- Affordable Boho Brands: Where to Shop for Bohemian Clothing
- The Best Boho Brands: Bohemian Styles You’ll Love
Poshmark Sourcing Tip #3: Garage Sales | Yard Sales | Estate Sales
Use your bargaining skills to get the best bang for your buck. Start early, bring change, and be prepared to negotiate. Before you make a purchase, do a quick price comp on Poshmark and Depop to see how much similar items have sold for. Search for sales in your neighborhood or on Facebook groups.
Tip #4: Department Stores – Nordstrom Rack
One of the best ways to boost your Poshmark business sales is to list new items often. The good thing about searching through the sales racks at department stores is that you usually have a certain time to return the item if you didn’t have any luck selling it.
This process can be a lot of work because you have to make sure you don’t miss the return date. I used to purchase a lot of bikinis to sell in my closet because they didn’t take up much space, and I could sell them year-round.
For Poshmark sellers with little time, it doesn’t make much sense to add an extra trip to the store to return items that don’t sell. Get in the habit of checking price comps before you buy an item to sell.
Tip #5: Clothing Swaps
Everyone has something in their closet they don’t wear anymore. If you’ve been selling online long enough, eventually, you’ll have items that you can’t wait to see gone forever. Host a clothing swap with your closest friends, and you could end up with something new for yourself and something to sell in your online closet.
It’s a win-win for everyone who wants to clear out their closet. Pick up different sizes and items that you usually wouldn’t sell to add some variety to your online closet. You could end up flipping something faster than you usually would.
Tip #6: Facebook Marketplace
Join a selling group on Facebook or look for your favorite brands on Marketplace. Most of the people on Marketplace are motivated to sell, so you’ll likely get a good deal. Start by searching for items in your neighborhood and always use caution when meeting with a stranger. Bring cash and ask questions before you arrive at the location to pick up the item.
I’ve had good luck selling items on Facebook Marketplace, and have even sold items within an hour of listing.
Tip #7: Poshmark Buy and Sell
When you’re making a purchase online or buying mystery boxes (boxes filled with items chosen by the seller), you don’t always know what you’re going to get and if it’s going to fit.
Fortunately, you can relist the item and try to make your money back. I’ve been able to resell most of my “accidental purchases” and recoup what I spent, including the cost of shipping.
Here are a few more tips for selling clothes on Poshmark:
- Use the sales reports to review your top-selling items on Poshmark.
- Know your brands and sell quality pieces.
- Use the right keywords in the descriptions so people can find your closet.
- Connect your Instagram and Pinterest to your closet.
- Offer discounts through the bundle feature.
Conclusion: Top Tips for Poshmark Sourcing
If you want to make more money on Poshmark or any online marketplace, start by adding more items to your online closet or store.
- Purge your closet. When you’re ready to take your business to the next level, start sourcing.
- Search for quality items that are priced low so you can turn a profit.
- Avoid overbuying by checking comps before your purchases.
- Inspect every piece before you checkout to make sure there are no holes, stains, or damage.
What are your favorite places to source items for Poshmark?