Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast is a must-visit destination to add to your Australia travel bucket list. It’s one of our favorite beaches and an easy, fun family trip from Brisbane.
Whether you’re planning a day trip, a romantic weekend getaway, or want to spend a few days on the Gold Coast, here’s how to plan the perfect Burleigh trip, where to stay, the best beaches, and the top things to do in Burleigh Heads.
How to Get to Burleigh Heads
Brisbane to Gold Coast: Located on Australia’s Gold Coast in Queensland, Burleigh Heads is a one-hour drive from Brisbane.
Burleigh Heads is an approximate 17-minute drive from Gold Coast Airport.
Where to Stay: Burleigh Heads Accommodations
We stayed at Burleigh on the Beach and loved it. It’s a short walk to the beach, and near Commune cafe. There is a pool, spa, gym, and BBQ area. The apartments come with a kitchen which is a huge plus if you’re traveling with kids and prefer to cook your own meals. One thing worth mentioning – there are a few stairs, so it’s not the most accessible access if you have a pram.
Fun Things to do
- Burleigh Beach – There are pristine beaches in Australia, and then there’s Burleigh Heads – an absolute gem on the Gold Coast. Start your trip here and swim between the flags to enjoy the ultimate beach experience.
- Burleigh National Park – At the top of Burleigh Hill, you’ll find the entrance to Burleigh National Park. Take a walk through this Gold Coast rainforest, eucalypt forest, and mangroves, and see how many whales you can spot during winter and spring. There are several paths you can take to the beach.
- Tallebudgera Creek – After walking through Burleigh National Park, take a dip in Tallebudgera Creek. Not only is this place stunning, but it’s a protected beach area which makes it a perfect place for families. Stay on the trail and walk to Echo Beach for another secluded swimming area.
- John Laws Park – You can’t beat the views of the coast and Surfer’s Paradise from Burleigh Hill. Grab a takeaway coffee and snacks and enjoy a picnic on the grass. There’s also a playground if you’re traveling with kids.
- North Burleigh Beach + North Burleigh Lookout – Planning a day trip from Brisbane? Arrive early, set up your beach tent or umbrella, and enjoy the ultimate beach day on the Gold Coast. You’ll love North Burleigh.
- Miami Rainbow Stairs – The stairs are painted bright colors, and the path will take you from Burleigh to Miami.
Whether you’re planning a romantic getaway or a weekend escape with kids, you’ll definitely want to add this Gold Coast destination to your travel bucket list!
What are your favorite free things in Burleigh Heads?
You may also like: