Want to try Paddle Boarding on your next visit to Oahu? Try standup paddleboarding (SUP lessons) for free at Ala Moana Beach Park. This beach is popular with swimmers, surfers and stand up paddlers and it’s a great place to learn Oahu Paddle Boarding if you’ve never been on a SUP.
Oahu Paddle Boarding for Free
The City and County of Honolulu Parks and Recreation Department offer free Stand-Up Paddleboard lessons and an Ocean Cross-Fitness Course during certain times of the year. They provide all the equipment. Even though I already knew how to SUP, I learned techniques on how to turn the board. Before I started taking the class, I had never been on a prone paddleboard, a board with no paddle.
SUP is a great workout for your core.
The staff and volunteers always greet you with a big friendly smile. You’ll go out with a lifeguard for a 30-40 minute session, depending on which class you take. The only thing you have to do is sign up, show up, and take a swim test once. The class sizes are small, no more than 3-4 people at a time, and you can go at your own pace.
- Fun Things To Do On Oahu – Top Bucket List Experiences in Hawaii
- Hiking in Oahu, Hawaii – The Best Hiking Trails on Oahu
- Swim With Sharks On Oahu – North Shore Hawaii
- Where To Stay on Oahu – The Modern Honolulu
Enjoy the views while you SUP in Ala Moana.
Once you get in the water, soak in the Honolulu skyline – and enjoy the stunning views of Diamond Head, Waikiki, and Kakaako.
Occasionally you’ll also see a few honus (Hawaiian Sea turtles) in the water. (Take note: All sea turtles are protected by federal and state laws. Don’t touch them.)
How to sign up
The SUP and Ocean Cross-Fitness season typically runs in April and September.
You can try Oahu Paddle Boarding for free at Ala Moana Beach Park. Contact: Kterukina@honolulu.gov (808) 768-3039.
Where to stay on Oahu
- The LayLow, Autograph Collection – A mid-century modern boutique hotel with city and ocean views.
- The Modern Honolulu – One of my favorite hangouts! Stop by for a drink at the pool, and stay for a night out at the Lobby Bar.
- Prince Waikiki – Waikiki – Featuring a rooftop pool with the most amazing view and a full-service spa.