Want to try Paddle Boarding on your next visit to Oahu? Try standup paddleboarding (SUP lessons) for free at Ala Moana Beach Park. This beach is popular with swimmers, surfers and stand up paddlers and it’s a great place to learn Oahu Paddle Boarding if you’ve never been on a SUP.
Oahu Paddle Boarding for Free
The City and County of Honolulu Parks and Recreation Department offer free Stand-Up Paddleboard lessons and an Ocean Cross-Fitness Course during certain times of the year. They provide all the equipment. Even though I already knew how to SUP, I learned techniques on how to turn the board. Before I started taking the class, I had never been on a prone paddleboard, a board with no paddle.
SUP is a great workout for your core.
The staff and volunteers always greet you with a big friendly smile. You’ll go out with a lifeguard for a 30-40 minute session, depending on which class you take. The only thing you have to do is sign up, show up, and take a swim test once. The class sizes are small, no more than 3-4 people at a time, and you can go at your own pace.
Book Your Next Stay on Airbnb – Click here to search for your next dream vacation rental.
- Fun Things To Do On Oahu – Top Bucket List Experiences in Hawaii
- Hiking in Oahu, Hawaii – The Best Hiking Trails on Oahu
- Swim With Sharks On Oahu – North Shore Hawaii
- Where To Stay on Oahu – The Modern Honolulu
Enjoy the views while you SUP in Ala Moana.
Once you get in the water, soak in the Honolulu skyline – and enjoy the stunning views of Diamond Head, Waikiki, and Kakaako.
Occasionally you’ll also see a few honus (Hawaiian Sea turtles) in the water. (Take note: All sea turtles are protected by federal and state laws. Don’t touch them.)
How to sign up
The SUP and Ocean Cross-Fitness season typically runs in April and September.
You can try Oahu Paddle Boarding for free at Ala Moana Beach Park. Contact: Kterukina@honolulu.gov (808) 768-3039.
Where to stay on Oahu
- The LayLow, Autograph Collection – A mid-century modern boutique hotel with city and ocean views.
- The Modern Honolulu – One of my favorite hangouts! Stop by for a drink at the pool, and stay for a night out at the Lobby Bar. Check out the Penthouse at the Modern.
- Prince Waikiki – Waikiki – Featuring a rooftop pool with the most amazing view and a full-service spa.
Earn 40,000 bonus miles with the United Explorer Card after you spend $2,000 in the first three months the account is open. Learn more. The United Explorer Card is one of my favorite cards for travel because it has no foreign transaction fees.
Sign up to get 40,000 bonus miles with United Explorer Card.
This site contains affiliate links. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Thanks for your support!