How to sell on Poshmark – When it comes to selling clothes online, you need the right tools (hustle & determination) to be successful. Social Connections and Influencers are redefining brand discovery. According to Poshmark’s 2020 Social Commerce Report, half of Poshmark users surveyed sell part-time and use Poshmark as a side-hustle.
- 25% of Poshmark users consider themselves small business owners.
- 45% of Poshmark sellers have repeat customers.
In this How to Make More Sales on Poshmark guide, we’ll cover:
- How to know which brands are in high demand
- Why you need to focus on keywords
- How to display quality photos that get shopper’s attention
- Why you need to connect with your community.
- Sales Slow on Poshmark? 7 Ways to Market Your Business
- Where to Get Clothes to Sell on Poshmark and Depop
How to sell on Poshmark
Poshmark is an app where you can buy and sell clothes, shoes, and home goods online. Follow my closet @AlohaAlex.
I first started using Poshmark in 2016 when I was living in Hawaii. Like you, I had plenty of clothes in my closet that I liked, but never wore. When I started making sales, I realized I was giving those clothes I no longer wore a second life in someone else’s closet. Eventually, I started buying clothes to sell and started making more money. I’m always clearing out my closet, and I know when to accept a reasonable offer when it comes my way.
Poshmark Selling Tips
If you want to get straight to business, here are the tips I’ve used to make more sales on Poshmark.
- Use the data to review your sales report so you know what item you’re selling the most of in your closet.
- Know your brands and which ones are going to bring in the most profit.
- Use keywords that are relevant in searches.
- Connect on social media to build a community around your business.
- Use the bundle feature to message buyers.
For all sales under $15, Poshmark gets $2.95. When your sales are $15 or more, Poshmark takes 20%.
Poshmark costs $7.11 for flat rate shipping.
You have 3 hours to cancel when you use the Buy Now button.
State and local sales tax, when applicable, will be charged on items purchased on Poshmark that are shipped to a U.S. address.
1. Use the data to review what’s selling in your Poshmark closet.
Want to learn how to sell more on Poshmark? Focus on listing brands and products that are currently selling in your closet.
Poshmark gives sellers access to their sales reports via email. Use this data to search sales by year or look up custom dates. Look at these numbers and use the information to help you decide what’s selling fast and what isn’t. Once you’ve sold a few things, you’ll be able to spot sales trends or brands that are performing well and see how much money you’ve made per item. If you’re new to Poshmark, you won’t have much to go by, but keep checking back once you’ve made a few sales.
2. Know your brands
If you want to learn how to sell on Poshmark, you have to know your customers and what brands are in high demand. For example, when I post an item from Dolls Kill or a pair of Doc Martens, it won’t last long in my closet. While I love wearing Free People, some dresses don’t sell as quickly as others, so I don’t always pick up Free People items.
(You can relist items, take new pictures and freshen up the description if this happens.) Experiment with different brands to see what works for you.
When looking for new stuff to sell, look at comps to see what the item recently sold for and how long ago the sale was. Also, keep in mind that if there are dozens of the same thing, it may be harder to sell the item at a high price point.
3. Use the right keywords
Think of every title and description as an opportunity to make a sale. Use the title and description space to add as many keywords to describe the item so that people will find your listings. For example, if you’re selling a “red cocktail dress,” you’ll want to include the brand, style, fabric, fit, and the size.
Use Pinterest! It’s a visual search engine tool that links back to your website or closet. Connect with me on Pinterest.
4. Connect on social media
Create a community with your Poshmark followers. Post engaging content on Instagram to create a buzz around your closet. Use a scheduling app to schedule posts to save time. I use Planoly to schedule my content.
Not sure what to post on Instagram? Try this:
- Photos of new listings.
- Post photos of what you use to package items. For example, cute cards or colorful tissue, so buyers know what to expect when they purchase from you.
- Share comments from happy customers.
- Share stories of your goals and what you hope to do with the money you earn.
- Pictures of your favorite Posh purchases.
- Ask customers to tag you on IG with photos of themselves wearing what they bought from you.
5. Use the bundle feature
If someone likes a few items in your closet, send them a private message with a discount or ask them to make a reasonable offer. Reach out and connect with the buyer and offer to answer any questions or details about shipping.
6. Display quality photos
You already know that you need to take well-lit photos to get people to stop scrolling. When people are shopping online, they want to know what they’re buying and the item’s condition. Grab their attention with a flat lay, or model the outfit if you have the time. Search for stock photos online by looking up the brand, and use “keywords” to find an image.
Before listing an item, look at the pictures you took, and ask yourself, “Would I stop what I’m doing and check out this item?”
7. How to close the deal
If you get a lowball offer, always come back with a counter. If you decline, you’re automatically closing a potential deal. Send the shopper a private message via the bundling feature to discuss prices.
8. Know when to take the offer
If the offer is fair, don’t lose the opportunity for a sale by asking for a few extra bucks. It’s always a gamble when you use the counteroffer feature because you don’t know the buyer’s budget. Consider what’s a better option for you: making a sale today, or waiting around forever and never getting the price you wanted.
Use these tips to help you make more sales in your Poshmark closet. If you don’t have a Poshmark account yet, use ALOHALAEX to save $5 after your first purchase.
How to Sell on Poshmark: Be consistent and use relevant keywords. Spend time taking high-quality photos to display what you’re selling. Use the “bundle” feature to communicate privately with shoppers. Know when to accept the offer.
- Out of Work? 5 Ways To Make Money From Home
- 6 Ways to Stay Focused When You’re Out of Work
- Vision Board Ideas: Create the Ultimate Dream Board in 2020
This site contains affiliate links. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Thanks for your support!