Want to learn how to start freelance writing? If you want to get paid to write articles, blogs, and content, it pays to be a great storyteller with a business mindset. Whether you’re a new writer or seasoned freelancer if you don’t know how to market yourself, you might have a tough time getting noticed by potential clients and making money.
Get Paid To Write: Articles, Content, and Blogs
In this guide, we’ll review:
- How to start your freelance writing career
- How to pitch
- Where to pitch to get freelance writing jobs
- Developing a niche
Join my email list and get The Insta ToolKit, a Guide on how to grow your brand and boost your Instagram engagement. Get travel + lifestyle blog posts and updates sent directly to your inbox.
How to Start Freelance Writing
There are several ways you can make money writing, including:
- Social media content
- Case Studies
- Descriptions for products
The list goes on and on. Find a niche and become an expert in that field.
For example, it doesn’t make sense for you to start applying for writing jobs about real estate when you’re interested in writing about sustainable fashion.
Stick to what you know. Here’s why:
- You already have an interest in the topic, so when it comes down to getting work done, you’ll be less likely to procrastinate.
- You’ll spend less time researching topics.
- When companies see that you’re an expert in a particular industry, they’ll start coming to you for work.
Create a portfolio
If you want editors or companies to respond to your pitches and hire you to write, you need a portfolio. Create a website with an about, contact, and portfolio page that highlights your best writing samples. The next step is finding a hosting service. I use Siteground to manage and host this website.
If you don’t have any stories or articles under your belt, start building up your writing portfolio today! Start guest posting on someone else’s blog or start a blog. Once you have a few posts or articles on your site, you can begin sharing your website with your dream clients.
If you want to start freelance writing, learn Search Engine Optimization. I can’t stress this enough. Before you start writing, research long-tail keywords to help you rank on Google. Create a content marketing strategy and optimize your freelance writing business website to gain more clients.
Be a great storyteller who provides value to your readers.
Check out these sites for SEO tips and tricks.
- Neil Patel’s Digital Marketing Blog
- The ultimate guide to content SEO – Yoast
- The exact template that helped my site earn $95,000 in affiliate income last year
How to Start Freelance Writing: Market Yourself
Optimize your LinkedIn profile to get more writing clients to find you. Connect with editors and PR contacts and start building relationships. Find a great mentor.
Keep a list of story ideas in a google doc whenever you get a good idea. Once you have all the elements of a good story, send the pitch. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone.
Treat your writing job as a business, not a hobby.
How to pitch
Getting Started: Before you send out that first email, spend time learning about the brand or business.
- Who do they serve?
- Why are you the best candidate for the job?
- Show them you’ve done your research.
Keep your email short, and include at least three developed story pitches. Make it easy for the editor of your dream publication to say yes to your story by adding a unique angle and why this story needs to be told by you.
Do your research and don’t be one of those writers who pitches story ideas about articles the magazine just published a month ago.
Start Freelance Writing: Where to pitch
Look for opportunities everywhere. Build your network on LinkedIn and follow industry trends to stay in the know.
- Make a list of topics and industries that you want to write about. Reach out to a law office or any business to pitch your writing services. They may be brainstorming a new content strategy and could potentially bring you on to write some of the content.
- If you notice a website needs fresh content or new blog posts, connect with the business owner, and develop a relationship.
- Make a list of your dream outlets or publications. Search for the editor’s contact info and start pitching. Some magazines include pitching guidelines that have very specific things to include in your email. Read the guidelines!
- Sites like ProBlogger and Upwork also advertise writing jobs. However, you’ll have to filter through a lot of postings to find a good one, I’ve connected with some great clients who I now work with long-term. Submit your content early and ask for feedback so you can grow your skills.
You can offer any digital service from writing to editing, and set your rates on Fiverr. This platform lets you set your rates, and once you optimize your profile, you’ll get an email when a client wants to work with you.
Set up a profile on Fiverr today.
Build long-term relationships
Create a memorable experience for your clients and the brands you’re writing for by exceeding expectations, submitting work ahead of deadlines, and providing value. While there may not be any follow up work for you at this point, opportunities might pop up in a few months. Be a professional from start to finish.
Conclusion – How to be a Succesful Freelance Writer
If you want to start freelance writing, you need to know how to market yourself. Grow your skills, learn SEO, and develop a business mindset. Create a memorable experience for brands and clients by being a great storyteller.
You may also like:
- Productive Things To Do At Home When You’re Bored
- Things To Do While Unemployed: How to Stay Positive
This site contains affiliate links. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Thanks for your support!