Need to fuel your wanderlust until you can jet-set to Bali, start ticking things off your Kauai bucket list, or solo travel to Nicaragua? These are the best travel and inspirational adventure quotes to fuel your wanderlust until you book your next flight.
While some countries are opening their borders, here in Queensland, travel restrictions are still in place. Like many of you, we’ve had to cancel our travel plans for early 2020, but we’re dreaming up new adventures in Australia. And we’re super excited about more road trips, beach days and hiking adventures.
Where is your next adventure taking you?
Join my email list and get The Insta ToolKit, a Guide on how to grow your brand and boost your Instagram engagement. Get travel + lifestyle blog posts and updates sent directly to your inbox.
Travel quotes help inspire us to start exploring and see the world. They’re also a great starting point when you’re feeling writer’s block and trying to write about your favorite destination. Whether you’re getting ready for a solo trip, your dream honeymoon, or a family vacation, we hope these top travel quotes inspire you to learn from the journey and maybe even get a little lost along the way to embrace a different side of travel.
Have something to say, but can’t seem to find the words to say it? Need help figuring out your next Instagram caption? Start with a quote. Check out my travel blog for the best mountain quotes and quotes about living your best life.
The Best Quotes About Travel
1. “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” – James Michener
2. “Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us, or we find it not.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
3. “Traveling expands the mind rarely.” – Hans Christian Andersen
4. “Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.” – David McCullough
5. “I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
6. “Don’t worry about the world ending today; it’s already tomorrow in Australia.” – Charles M. Schulz
7. “If you’re twenty-two, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel – as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them – wherever you go.” – Anthony Bourdain
8. “Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.” – Henry David Thoreau
9. “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu
10. “It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.” – Ursula K. Le Guin
11. “With age, comes wisdom. With travel, comes understanding.” – Sandra Lake
12. “I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
13. “People travel to faraway places to watch, in fascination, the kind of people they ignore at home.” – Dagobert D. Runes
14. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – Agustine of Hippo
15. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
16. “Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey.” – Pat Conroy
17. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
18. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
19. “Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.” – Paul Theroux
20. “The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see.”- G.K. Chesterton
21. “Travelling is like flirting with life. It’s like saying, I would stay and love you, but I have to go; this is my station.” – Lisa St. Aubin de Tera
22. “It is always sad to leave a place to which one knows one will never return. Such are the melancholies du voyage: perhaps they are one of the most rewarding things about traveling.” – Gustave Flaubert
23. “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” – Jack Kerouac
Inspirational Travel Quotes
24. “Blessed Are The Curious For They Will Have Adventures.” – Lovelle Drachman
25. “The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams.” – Oprah Winfrey
26. “Tourists went on holidays while travelers did something else. They traveled.” – Alex Garland
27. “When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money.” – Susan Heller
28. “No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.” – Lin Yutang
29. “I think one travels more usefully when they travel alone, because they reflect more.” – Thomas Jefferson
30. “And then there is the most dangerous risk of all — the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.” – Randy Komisar
31. “The best view comes after the hardest climb.” – Unknown
32. “It’s funny. When you leave your home and wander really far, you always think, ‘I want to go home.’ But then you come home, and of course it’s not the same. You can’t live with it, you can’t live away from it. And it seems like from then on there’s always this yearning for some place that doesn’t exist. I felt that. Still do. I’m never completely at home anywhere.”- Danzy Senna
Short Travel Quotes
33. “To travel is worth any cost or sacrifice.”- Elizabeth Gilbert
34. “Better to see something once than hear about it a thousand times.”
35. “Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire.” – Jennifer Lee
36. “A ship in a harbor is safe, but it is not what ships are built for.” – John A. Shedd
37. “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller
38. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller
39. “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine, it’s lethal.” – Paulo Coelho
Inspiring Travel Quotes
40. “You don’t have to be rich to travel well.” – Eugene Fodor
41. “Never go too long without watching a sunset” – Atticus
42. “Never go on trips with anyone you do not love.” – Ernest Hemingway.
43. “Paris is always a good idea” – Audrey Hepburn
44. “We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment.” – Hilaire Belloc
45. “The journey, not the arrival matters.” – T.S. Eliot
46. “Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.” – Dalai Lama
47. “No place is ever as bad as they tell you it’s going to be.” – Chuck Thompson
48. “Work, travel, save, repeat.” – Anonymous
Top Travel Quotes
49. “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag
50. “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” – Herman Melville
51. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” – Helen Keller
52. “Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
53. “In the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take.” – Lewis Carroll
54. “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.” – Anonymous
55. “Travel is never a matter of money but of courage.” – Paulo Coelho
There you have it, the best travel quotes to fuel your wanderlust. What’s your favorite travel quote? Thanks for reading this post and let us know in the comments if you have any suggestions for any future blog posts. We love hearing from you!
Sign up for my newsletter to get travel + lifestyle blog posts and updates sent directly to your inbox.