Traveling with a baby? Wondering what to pack for your first trip with an infant under 6 months? Use this baby travel essentials checklist to help you plan for your next trip.
While you may be tempted to bring all the baby items you use at home, you don’t need to. These are our favorite must-have baby items that we use to make road trips with an infant under six months easier.
Baby Travel Essentials – The Ultimate Baby Packing List
We like to pack light, but on our first getaway to the coast, we brought a lot of stuff. Jayden was only a few weeks old, so we packed the car with everything we thought we might need.
It turns out; it was a bit much. After a few trips, we’ve narrowed it down to the basics.
- Baby Carrier – A baby carrier is essential if you want to take a break from the stroller. It’s perfect for beach days and long walks.
- Stroller/Pram – We spent a lot of time researching the best strollers for newborns, babies, and toddlers, and we love our Uppababy Cruz. It’s lightweight and compact.
- Travel Bassinet/Travel Crib – For cozy sleeps
- Blanket/Swaddles – Need to keep your baby warm? Something to block the sun in the car? Want to wipe up spilled milk? Use a swaddle.
- Baby bouncer – Our newborn loves this one!
- Long sleeve + Short sleeve Onesies
Baby Car Travel Essentials for Road Trips
- Car Seat – Your baby may love sleeping as soon as you start driving; bring some toys to keep him/her entertained just in case.
- First Aid Kit – You never know when you may need it.
- Sunshades to block the sun while you’re in the car.
- Diaper Bag
What We Bring in Our Diaper Bag
Our diaper bag goes wherever we go. That’s why we keep it stocked with all the must-haves we love to use. Don’t forget to bring a change of clothes and some jammies to keep your baby warm. When I added a wet/dry bag to my registry, I didn’t realize how much we would use it. It’s perfect for trips to the beach.
What to pack in your Diaper Bag:
- Diaper Rash Cream
- Change of Clothes
- Sun Hat
- Baby Brush
- Baby Toys
- Wet/Dry Bag
- Baby Bottle
- Burp Cloths
- Change Pad
Baby Travel Essentials: Feeding
- Breast Pump – I also love the Haakaa and find that I don’t need our Medela breast pump all the time, but it’s nice to have the option.
- Milk Storage Containers
- Bottle Brush
- Bottle Cleaner
- Baby Food – Our little one is not eating solids yet.
Baby Travel Gear For Beach Trips
Shop Essential Baby Travel Items
Travel Tips for Parents
Whether you’re planning a weekend getaway with your baby, or a longer trip, take the time to prepare for the adventure.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to pack.
- Keep an extra change of clothes handy because you never know when you might need to change.
- Plan your route and check traffic before you leave.
- Do your homework, and take note of any places where you could stop if your baby wants to feed or needs a diaper change.
- Check the weather.
- Leave early and expect to be late.
- Take a break when you or your baby needs to.
- Schedule feeds before you walk out the door, and change diapers/nappies just before you leave.
What are your must-have baby travel essentials for newborns, babies, and toddlers? Leave your ideas in the comments to share with other parents who love to travel.
You may also like:
- Cake Maternity Review: Ethical, Comfy + Supportive Lingerie
- Best Gender Neutral Baby Clothes Brands To Shop Online